2005-2010 [ANT10]

Steering wheel vibration 70+ mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steering wheel vibration 70+ mph

hey SL. I'm getting vibration in my steering wheel @ 70+mph. I have replaced my tires an have about 10k on the new ones. I got alignment and balace on the old tires and brought it to a chassis ams suspension shop that only specializes in suspension & alignments but still getting shakes. so I went ahead and bought new tires bc they said I need new ones which I did. Hoping it would solve the problem but it didn't. btw on stock rims. You think I could have a bent rim? And the vibration comming from the front end. Thank for your help guys.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you hit anything with the rims or hit a large pot hole?

Did they completely tighten the wheels?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

rotate the tires, if it vib in the rear, then its a wheel, if not you might have a bad hub assembly, wrap brake rotor, loose front end part, ect, ect, try having a different shop balance the wheels, sometimes you might get a shop that has some new kid working and they dont understand that some wheels need to be static balance to one side, or maybe a weigh come off down the road if they didnt put it on right, you just need to let a shop look at it, its not really something that can be fixed over a forum
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When did you notice the tire vibration? If it was after you had the tires swapped out it could be a broken tire pressure sensor. It happened to me when I got my tire repaired for a nail at Sears. It likely happened when the tire got put back on and the person wasn't paying attention to details. When I would go above 70 MPH my steering wheel would vibrate and wouldn't stop until I slowed down to under 60 MPH. I took it back to Sears and they checked the suspension and it checked ok. Then the tire that was repaired was checked on the balance machine at a slow speed to listen for anything loose inside the tire and was broken down. Next thing I'm being handed my tire pressure sensor and the valve stem is still on the wheel . Since the sensor was broken during their repair of the tire the covered buying the new one and put it on. But here's the kicker, the car has to be taken to the dealer so the ECU recognizes the new sensor. I got hit with an $80 bill for them to break down the tire again to get the serial off the sensor and to reprogram the ECU. I was was not happy about that and made a trip back to sears after that to get reimbursed but only got half back though(when I went it was like a week later and talked to a different manager and tried to tell me different about how the TPMS system works, lol), I also only had 2 hrs of sleep so I lost out some money. So now your informed, of it is a broken sensor have them take the car to the dealer to make sure they take all charges.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with my old tires I had them balanced and aligned at numerous shops. Now when I changed my suspension the ride was smooth. Later on down the line I started getting vibrations only in 80mph range. It's not happening when the brakes are applied. I will rotate the tires this weekend. If I rember correctly I do recall rotating with the old tires on and the vibration was in the back as well as front. as for the Hub asslembly never told the mechanic to directly inspect that. But I shall next time. As for as pot holes yeah hit a ton of them. New Orleans well Louisiana has the worst roads ever. So I'm leaning toward the culprit being a bent rim or like you said the hub asseembly.